Thursday, September 29, 2011

What an amazing Vietnam! Mui Ne.

For the past two days, I don't know where to start. it has been an amazing time not only from experience point of view, but most of all that I got surprised so much that I am still speechless.

But first things first...



Relaxing on the beach, just me and the sea

There were some heavy storms over this part of globe this week, and in South Vietnam the rainy season started, not letting me fulfill my plan for Can Tho floating markets. So I must apologize to the nice gentleman with his boat that even though we had a date for 5:30 am on Wednesday, I did not arrive. It had been raining since the day before and my previous date with the same gentleman ended a little bit in the rain, but still manageable as the Mekong views were amazing. I will try and post photo or two for a flavor. So I was a bit disappointed but I think I needed a break from the crazy traveling as I enjoyed staying in bed a bit longer. All in all Wednesday turned out to be dedicated to bus-travels.
I committed not to use any taxi that day (I mean motorcycle ;)) and so I had to find out about all the local buses and take the right ones and arrive on time to get on another bus etc. Not everywhere people were knowledgeable enough to push me in the right direction but what's more important, in the most critical moment when switching from a private bus operator to get to another part of the city for a different bus operator, I went to the familiar district 1 with the same bus I had used before and there at the station I knew that staff were friendly enough to give me the correct bus number onwards. And so it was. 

Of course I don't need to say how many times I had to dismiss taxi drivers and people offering all sorts of services from accommodation to massage etc... I hope you are getting the picture as I am walking with my big backpack and my small rucksack with a map in front of my nose trying to get from the bus stop to the right bus office. I should post a picture how the shops are situated and the number of adds that are shouting at you in different languages ;))))

All in all I arrived at Mui Ne east, 2 KM at Lucy resort, which looked a bit deserted... Like the whole town which I observed through the bus window...

Fortunately there was someone around to negotiate the price and give me a key to my wonderful bungalow situated at the beach.  The price went down from original 40$ to my firm 20$ and using some of the "please mister I am a poor girl traveling alone, cannot afford more". Well in this circumstances I use any weapon :):)

my bungalow at Lucy resort Mui Ne


Lucky me, I said to myself. I got where I wanted, for how I wanted. And from the two, I prefer quiet and piece over crowds and noise.But I was not expecting a different kind of company that was included in the price. As I arrived at my little house, the other Big Two was there as well. One was spotted under the only piece of furniture that was in the room and the second one was discovered when closely inspecting the bed - on the bed side facing the wall. Who were the Big Two? The BiG Two Cockroaches.
So I went for the owner to get some help. He took the bed one immediately. As the other one was hiding I thought I might be safe for the night if I cover myself well and leave one lamp lit.
After getting a walk and a dinner (soup again, favorite Pho Bo, this time surprisingly with onions!) I came back to my place and the Other from the Big Two was looking at me from the commode. And there was no owner in my sight to ask for help...
Stuck as I was, considering sleeping outside, the neighbor came with rescue. Or I forced him rather :). Luckily the only other people in the resort were still outside, having a wine. I interrupted asking for the guy's help and trying not to freak out his girlfriend I just asked him to help me with removing 'a bug'. For which when he saw it he came back for a bigger weapons, namely being a spray and a newspaper and a plastic cup. And he confirmed that it was a big cockroach to his girlfriend.
Other than this event, after spraying all bed again, I must say I slept well until the morning. Probably because of the chemistry in the spray :):).


Relaxing on the beach
 In the morning the Dutch couple left, laving all the resort for me only. I used my time at the beach, enjoying a lot.

Mui Ne is windy and the beach is narrow but long. As I was staying more to the countryside part, the beach was not very pleasant itself because of all the garbage. Unfortunately Vietnamese people don't recognize value in cleanliness putting forward the practical approach. So if they need a bag on the beach in one moment and they don't need it in the next moment, the bag stays at the beach. And so is tons of other papers, bottles and God knows what else. On the other hand they recognize that tourists like clean beach so they cleaned a small piece for my and around the beds. Funny but nice :)  
The sand was marvelous, warm and silky. The sea is also nice and warm, if you don't mind the garbage...
Anyway I was enjoying myself for the full morning, then I left for sight seeing. For which I needed a motorbike. It was my first ride and it was very cool. As for the price, I got it for VND 50Kfor 2hrs. In reality I paid 40K as I did not use it for full 2 hrs, leaving the guy obviously very unhappy with the money he got.. I learned not to mind this already and do what I think is the best. Usually it works well.

From the 5 things I could see in the area I managed only 2, due to the distances. Also I did not think it was really something I could not miss so I just let go..focusing on organizing my journey onwards.
I will try and post some amazing photos of the red sand dunes I went to see. Really beautiful and worth seeing.


Mui Ne tourist attractions

Thank God I thought about booking the next step, as it turned out that my plan A could not work as the bus operator cancelled the route. I had to go and look for another one praying that they hadn't cancelled and that there will be connection for me in the afternoon the same day.
I got lucky again, as I found it quite easily and I booked myself for 1:00 PM bus to Nha Trang.

Red sand dune






Mui Ne - Lucy Resort - bungalows

2 comments:

  1. ammazing adventure..i enjoyed and launghed a lot reading it....your bargaining to get better price for bungalow was ingenious ,,i like your fighting with cockroaches...what a pity that your dogs are not with you...would be usefull in these cases,,,,,,,,,
    and my god how many buses have you changed since your started trave....

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank a lot, I might surprise you with the travel options for tomorrow ;)

    ReplyDelete