Monday, September 26, 2011

First bites

I got one or two mosquito bites today. Do you think I am going to die soon?
I think there were cockroaches in the hostel too, but I don't dare thinking if they were in my room...

And so I started to use repellents I got with me.

Today was a better day. I managed to get cheaper and nicer food and cheaper everything. I guess you have to stay long enough in one place to get closer to the local going rates and get your head around the rules.

Tomorrow, a first big challenge (like it wasn't enough). Because I am stubborn, I am rejecting all the civilized offers for transportation and I am taking a local bus to get to Can Tho. It is said to be 4 hrs drive.
I was at the local bus station yesterday to see if I manage to find out about anything. After understanding the layout and the roles, I asked one guy behind the counter and... can you imagine that the guy started writing an answer for me in English? Obviously his English wasn't great and he was hesitating to speak, but I got all the information I needed. The bus numbers, the schedule for Tuesday and I hope all this if for where I want to go. :). After watching buses coming and going (not that I didn't trust the guy:), bus number 2 is a really local open type little van where people sit on top of each other. The bus 39 seems more European type, with modern type of sits and closed cabin. And so tomorrow morning, I will be on the bus with locals trying not to get killed and actually get where I want. Then I want to organize a boat trip on Mekong for myself, or join a group rather and I will have to see about accommodation.

I could go for an easier option and get a tour organized here for only 25$. But I want to become better traveling ninja and see how much money is really needed for traveling. I am keeping track of my expenses so I will know exactly how much and where :))

3 comments:

  1. Enjoy you holidays and get well back.
    Do not forget to make more photos.
    If it possible post the photos in Facebook :-).

    Mutaz

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can be sure of it.
    I wish I could make photos of amazing people here. I am too shy for that..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Marta
    i am taking pleasure reading your journey. i envy you,,your journey still has been my dream....
    about bites don't worry you are not going to die .....vietnames mosquito do not like Polish blood

    ciao...

    ReplyDelete