Tuesday, September 27, 2011

So far so good, Can Tho the welcoming city!

As much as I was worried the day before, I am sitting in Can Tho with my tammy full and with everything organized for the next day as well. This is life in Vietnam :)
Monks School at Can Tho

I got to Can Tho for 10 a.m. using a public bus in Saigon, then getting onto private bus to Can Tho and then on the minibus to get to my hotel. I spent 100K dongs for all this. In comparison the tourist option offered in the hostel in Saigon was for 12$, which is around 240K dongs. Happy with the saving I went for a real hotel option for 8$. Crazy me :)



Fruity breakfast - my first fruits in Vietnam

It turned out a good decision actually. The Spring Hotel is a bit farther from the main tourist place in Can Tho but in return it is cleaner and very friendly. The family here helped me with organizing my tomorrow's journey so I can sit and relax now :).


But they also gave me a fruit to eat.
As it was my first fruit here I will be watching for some communications from my stomach. Hope nothing bad!
I did a three hour Mekong tour today, to be continued at 5 am tomorrow for the floating market. Then back in the hotel for 9 am and on the road again.
Next stop Mui Ne. Arriving around 8 pm, so another 12 hrs journey ahead :)
From other crazy things I did today, I bought a local snack on one of the bus stops. It looked like a white roll, steam cooked. The taste was sweet but there was a surprise inside. Some meet, a small egg and sweet potatoe I think. All together tasted bit funny. Not sure I'd go for a second one :)
I also had a flavour of the communist era. Normally you might forgery that Vietnam is not a capitalistic country other than suspicious number of police on the streets. Today on the bus there was this ritual. First they handed free snacks and bottled water (this carrier is new I learned afterwards so maybe this is the new way as well). Then they asked for tickets, not like you could get on the bus without it, but this time they actually took the collectible piece. And then they required exact place of destination. Only after some minutes I could figure out what the guy wanted.. And then we got stopped by Police :) fortunately they were bot after me, the famous Polish criminal hiding in Vietnam :)
I am still not sure why the destination, as we were switching buses once more in Can Tho. Anyway, Thank God they did not take away my passport and they got me safely to the hotel, asking cyclists on their way which way to go :)

Update:

And then, in Can Tho, the rainy seazon started. I dedicated 1 day for the Mekong Delta and floating markets. I took the afternoon to see some of it. I managed to see the amazing local market located at the end of the park section where all the boats are waiting for tourists. As it turned out that market was the most remarkable one in terms of colours and variety of fruits. Never again I was to see so many different fruits in whole Vietnam! The streets were very narrow and the stalls were so tiny but with so much to offer.

The Mekong Delta tour wasn't exactly planned. I walked into the park/harbour and negotiated a price with one of the guys and off I went for three hours on the river.
The boat was crap but I was the only client and I was touched how the guide was trying to make an effort with hardy any English to tell me some things. Unfortunately it was not much he had to say so through the course I was taking pictures and wondering what's the stuff I am photographing.  But I did manage to take some pics in the town, I accidentaly found a monks schoold and the local pagoda :).


 





We were on the boat, me and my guide, taking turn after turn, and there were little houses on both river sides with people doing daily jobs and children playing. I was trying to observe their routines, see for yourself...

 There was a remaining of some military construction going for miles alongised the river. Little huts were located in a sight distance, very regularly, and there was an old path going from hut to hut... I am guessing it was a military construction but I cannot tell for sure.. 
They are growing something inside, I am curios of what it was


 

A family harvesting at their water garden.


1 comment:

  1. amazing day...turbulent and interesting..take care about your passport..it will be more usefull than the mobile phone
    i am looking forward to reading your next step
    take care

    ReplyDelete