Monday, September 26, 2011

More news from Saigon

Another handful of funny information.

Now I know that in Vietnam byuing a SIM is not necessary an easy operation. I got one in Hanoi airport, thinkin it should be straight forward with my unlocked mobile. How silly it was to thinki, I learned yesterday :) Of course I had problems and I couldn't use it. I thuoght it was probably some phone settings and that I will be able to sort it out quickly. I still haven't. Moreover I locked the phone SIM by accidant, and they do not give you your PUK with the card.
Thanks to firendly hotel service we called the customer service and they said that the only option is to go back to the place where I got the SIM and they should sort it out for me. No way I am going back to Hanoi before end of my second week I said. So as a bargain I will go to their shop in Saigon and maybe they will help... Fingers crossed!
Would you dare crossing the street?



One would think that why can't I get a second one here? It is because I am stubborn and I overpaid at the airport, so I said to myself that I am not paying twice for nothing :)
Yes I overpaid... silly thinking that the pre-paid card should cost the same cross country... and only after getting it I saw that the price tag of 150,000 VND was on top of the original price tag, which was saying 65,000 VND... And I though I did well as the lady offered me 300,000 card virst, then 200,000 and then 150,000 with saying there was nothing cheaper.
Maybe nothinh cheaper at her place :)

Yesterday all day I was looking for a mobile shop, but I didn't see one. So today I asked the frielndy staff here to get me the address.. I am going in thea fternoon. Please pelase fix my phone, I will be begging in Vietnamese :))))

Gosh I have already tons of notes and hundreds of observations in my head. I going around the town, watching localc and tourist and making my notes. I don't think I will publish it, too much reading for you!!!

Today went on a motorbike and vistited 4 pagodas. Beautiful places, the ones in China town especialy. The Vietnamese ones are more touristy.. My driver was nice and I felt ok on the crazy roads in the heat and with the noise around.. I got the deal with him 80,000 per hour, I think this time it was a fair price.
Of course they told me at the start that the going rate is 100,000 per hour and only as an exception he will take me for 80.. I think I am getting to understand the mentality a bit.... :))))

Another example, the street food. I was thinking that I could pay the local price for local food. But even though the pricelist was saying 10,000 dongs for a soup I paid 40,000 dongs... that's the price you pay for being a pale face ;) With my next meal I will do a different approach. Anyhow 1$ is around 20,000 VND...

Talking about food. I am not feeling hungry here. I am eating one soup a day and a small snack. Probably the heat is getting to me. I would love to try all the local fruits and drinks, but I think I should wait with it to be settled a bit more. Really, all the food options here are unbeliavable. Each trolley has a different assortment. I don't know how long I would have to stay in Saigon to try it all..

I will go now and try to sort out the phone...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Marta, I'm just about to go out for my walk but thought I would say hello first. It sounds like you are having a great time in Vietnam and I look forward to hearing all about it when you get home. Take lots of photos - what do Vietnamese dogs look like? :-) Anyway, Mickie, Minnie, Kandi and Ken all say hello. Ok, have to go, there are ducks that need chasing. Bye for now and have lots and lots of fun. Kookie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. even you are not feeling with food .. you have to eat....fruits is good but sometimes you need to eat something of consist.... example meat...you should not have dificulty to find chicken

    ReplyDelete