Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Bert Nichols to Pine Valley (day 5)


Here splits the group of people that has been following each other day after day. There are goodbyes and contact exchanges. Trail brings people together, inevitably. Fighting with your weaknesses and witnessing others struggling too makes you appreciate the company. We are no longer feeling defeated if something goes wrong, we take it naturally, the blisters, the soar feet, the injuries and all the unexpected things that always happen. We also appreciate every accomplished part of the trial and we enjoy every night spend in the shelter with people sharing their mutual struggles. We understand the rules and we obey.
For example, it is an unspoken rule that you do not ask for food or water on a trail. All bushwalkers must carry their own and all the supplies are usually calculated exactly for the effort and time. Only in critical situations you ask others to share their supplies.
 
Cephissus Falls by Pine Valley

My knee was more becoming more painful every day. I was not recovering, getting worse each day. At this stage I decided to join in Steven and his son Mat. I gave up the idea of walking alone and decided to follow their pace. They have been very kind to me since we met at Windermere. At Kia Ora we were sharing same bunk bed and they cooked a breakfast for me (few spoons of porridge – very good energy food before hitting the trail in the morning). Mat was carrying a lot of photo equipment with him.He was a passionate photographer and a very talented one. Both of them they were on a father-son bonding trip and it was nice watching the two of them interact, a really pleasant company. I could not have asked for more.

Cephissus Falls by Pine Valley








 
Pine Valley was expected to be mostly quiet and free of other bushwalkers. Being a side trip from the main trail one would hope to be completely alone there. For us it turned out to be the busiest! But at least I was lucky to have my ranger following same route again. How nice!

Pine Valley hut, with Darren and other bushwalkers
Catching up with him at Pine Valley produced more meaningful conversations and three bags of dried fruits and nuts. He said that there was a group that left it behind but it was hard to believe. No one would leave behind a stash of food like that! I was close to tears, being grateful and touched by Darren’s kind heart.  It was another unexpected gift on my journey, falling on my lap without me looking for it. Besides the hut was so busy with many other hikers there and I scored the highest for needing food I suppose. Unfortunately this was the last place I got to see Darren. We were coming close to the end but I was planning to hike the full trail and not to take the ferry in the last part. Most people skip the last distance because there is a ferry that can take you across to the destination point and the end of the journey. Most people are anxious of going to a bar and getting a cold beer and a hamburger. Most people do, but not me. I enjoyed the whole trek so much that despite of my hurting knee I decided to stay a day longer and continue around Lake St. Clair on foot.

But this was yet to come. At the moment I was in the Pine Valley listening to some horror stories. There are two main attractions to hike around – the Labyrinth, The Parthenon – Du Cane Range with two highest peaks being the Acropolis (1471m) and Mount Geryon (1509m). These are two climbing sites to go to, provided the weather allows. Especially the Labyrinth leaves no doubts about the level of difficulty. Every now and then people get lots there and some never come back. The last and most recent one was a single female tourist who went to Acropolis and never returned. They found her backpack some time after…
Steven and Mat are too anxious to get their cold beer and they decide not to stay another day at Pine Valley. In fact they are rushing so much that they decide to take the ferry. I am relived anyway because in my condition there is no way I can climb those mountains. But before we leave we go off with Mat to take some more pics. He goes and I follow to see his work.



with Mat at Pine Valley

with Steve and Mat, hiking through the Pine Valley
 



We cross Cephissus Creek bare foot several times. We admire a nice little Cephissus Falls. It was having a lot of fun together.
Leaving the Pine Valley behind, this part of the trail is a rain forest mixed with great open space valleys and beautiful view on the Du Cane Range. It is also known for poisonous snakes. We meet at least two or three on our way. The sun makes them come out and use the warmth. Walking though all the valley is very attentive, every step must be carefully watched. Steve goes first with his walking polls, clearing the way for me and Mat.




One of the many times crossing Cephissus Creek 

All the mountain tops that I missed on this trip, they will be there waiting for me to come back and climb them. And some day I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment