Monday, March 5, 2012

Birthday magic on the way from Kia Ora Hut to BERT NICHOLS Hut (Overland day 4)

Day 4th turned to be my second rainy day. Considering the Overland Track statistic says that 3/5 days are rainy/wet no matter what season, my first two sunny days were a encouraging start. Yesterday it started raining around half way through to the Kia Ora hut and it did not stop yesterday, not today.
 
Kia Ora Hut, source: Nele&Andrew around OZ
 
It was a shame as Kia Ora is placed in near neighbourhood of Mount Ossa -  the Tasmania's highest peak. Upon my arrival I could hardly see above 30 meters distance, everything was covered in a fog and puring rain.. otherwise the view would have been stunning.


Not quite 360 degree view from top of Mt Ossa (Tasmania), source: Wikimedia

There were several overlanders who took their chances to get to the top. They returned all beaten up and wet.. The terrain is difficult enough in good weather conditions. Never mind in bad weather..
As we were sitting and chatting away the rangers mentioned that there are many accidents happening as people tend to overestimate their chances in getting over to the top. Many end up injured. Some end up going there .... and never coming back..
 
Mount Ossa (Tasmania), source: Wikipedia


Some other lucky tourists managed on a good weather, the view is breath taking I must say. I will have to come back to take pictures myself on a good day..
 
View from Mt Ossa, source: source: Nele&Andrew around OZ
 
The plan for day 4th was looking good. It was my birth day, woohoo! It must be a good day then!
My shoes were still wet from the day before and it was drizzling but I planned to enjoy it and have a steady peaceful walk in order to rest my knee more. Terrain looked easy enough to do that plus there were nice side trips on the way - D'Alton Falls, Fergusson Falls and Hartnett I decided to go for.
 

Overland Trek from Kia Ora to Bert Nichols. Nice walking through the rain forest with beautiful views on nearby mountain peaks.

At Ducane Hut I caught up with a private guided group of tourists. We had a small talk and I got introduced to one of the guides. I did not stay for long and as I was leaving the hut I heard "we''ll catch up with you in three minutes"...

Being a private guide on the Overland Trek is quite a job. Not only they are running the trail up and down with bunch of tourists, but they also have to cook/clean/carry stuff. Minding a group of people that are not necessarily fit for the trek plus responsibility for their well being would take all the enjoyment from the trek for me.

I passed the quikly and continued on. At the crossing with the side walk to the first waterfall I left my backpack and went to see what is the buzz all about ;).
  
Dark and misterious, wet Fergusson Falls 
D'Alton Falls
Suprise suprise, I also caught up with the ranger that has been following the trail in the same time frame. I got a special treatment, we went off the trail to see the nicest spots. And so a new friendship was building :). The man - his name was Darren - was very nice showing me around. He also had a very magnetic brown eyes. His presence was calming. Suddenly I wasn't alone anymore. The birthday magic was starting to work.

On the edge of a cliff - in front of me view on the Fergusson Falls.
Returning to my backpack I found the private group resting and regrouping there. Three minutes huh? :D. Since we knew each other now I shared with them my experience of the falls. Part of the group wanted to see it, the rest wanted to carry on. We were half way through the day and I got my second birthday magic - the group sang "happy birthday" for me. How amazing, a group of complete strangers decided spontaneously to sing a song for me in the middle of the Tasmanian bush. This birthday was definitely going to the top ones to remember!

View on Bert Nichols Hut from the trail

I checked-in at Bert Nichols hut as the first. The hut was huge and there was a fireplace! I used the opportunity to undress and put my shoes and socks on the stove for drying. How convenient to have it all to myself. I used the time to have a good look around and I found a nice spot outside with quite a good view on the neighbourhood. My ranger was there as well. (Yes, now I was calling him 'my ranger' :)). He is very knowledgeable but not arrogant. People must try and involve him in conversations all the time, it must be boring for him to be hearing same questions from dilettantes ;).


View from Bert Nichols hut

As we are talking, I share with him my experience from the trek so far which he must be hearing like million times over and over from different people. Yet he is very kind and responsive to my talking. Further the day he brings be a bag of dried fruits and nuts as a birthday gift. Third magic of the day!

My comfortable bird watching position :)

I am waiting for other people to arrive at the hut. Sitting comfortably in my newly discovered bird watching spot and reading my book. Here comes the private guide with his group again. He is full of chat and happy to see me again. We are setting up a meeting at 10:00 PM at the board walk between our huts, in the middle of nowhere. The place is called "Snake's Point", how inviting! I am encouraged by the fact that I am to get, announced unexpectedly, a birthday present.

No comments:

Post a Comment