Sunday, March 11, 2012

Hobart & Salamanca Market

Luckily all the action was ahead. Saturday & Salamanca Place is really where all the action happens, it like whole of Hobart accumulates in this one place to celebrate and enjoy. Those few hours of market opening need to compensate for a whole week of quietness - that's my explanation of why people are going wild on Saturday when market opens.
It was astonishing for me to touch and taste all the amazing fresh food. Coming from a farming country myself I could appreciate a real taste of fresh fruits and vegetables. Tasmania being an exporter or apples, lavender and wine as major goods, I must admit that their apples are first class!
I could not resist a shopping urge and I bought some local products, organic body cosmetics from a local manufacturer. Excellent quality of hand and foot scrub, I loved it and they made for great little gifts for my friends and family!






Salamanca Market is a street market in Salamanca Place, Hobart, Tasmania. It is a major tourist attraction in Tasmania, and is held on Saturdays between 8.30am and 3.00pm (Wikipedia)


It was astonishing for me to touch and taste all the amazing fresh food. Coming from a farming country myself I could appreciate the natural taste of fresh fruits and vegetables. Tasmania is an exporter of apples, lavender and wine. I must admit that their apples are first class!
I could not resist a shopping urge and I bought some local products, organic body cosmetics which seemed so fine that I could not resist. I discovered excellent quality in their hand and foot scrubs. They made for great little gifts for my friends and family!
 
Salamanca Place @ Hobart - Tasmania. Live music by local pipers. Who would have thought!

Salamanca Place @ Hobart, another live musician, Tasmania loves live music!
 
Wanting to get away from all the buzz and noisiness I strolled toward more quiet zones. I took a little hike and soon I was towering over the market below and I could look at it from a comfortable distance. I also found a little cute bay, very relaxing!

 

Retreat to peace and quiet times in the little charming back roads of Hobart

My remembering of Hobart will be very positive.
Busy but peaceful with stunning bay views of perfectly blue water and skies full of sun. The quality of food is also something to remember, had I had a bigger budget I would have certainly splashed on food more. Tasmanian apples will be my favorite, a cheap representation but well representing! Try simple things, like a tomato - you will be surprised on its textures, so different to European! Sweet in taste with soft skins, very pleasant and eatable just like a fruit. Meaty inside with no excess of watery juice. Mmmmmm ...my mouth is watering remembering the taste....

Hobart back roads are full of roses, roses are everywhere... they give certain charm and pleasant feeling especially if you find a little coffee shop to stop by and admire.. both coffee taste and a yard with roses that they will most certainly have... 


I find the quality of life in Tasmania very high. For a little distant island far away from everything, it can be striking how well people live and organize their surrounding over there. People come across as happy and fulfilled, there was not a single point of a complaint or discomfort I experienced. On the contrary During my brief stay in the towns I was presented a book-gift at one of a local coffee shops. The worry that young people in Tasmania have today is their future employment. A small state like Tasmania has a limited capacity in securing new jobs every year. Only seasonal jobs come with regularity, (apple picking pays a decent amount per hour, after a months work you could splash your salary and travel around - that is what I found teenagers were doing). But isn't this a common headache of all people living in capitalistic Western world, there is no employment security anymore, isn't there?

No comments:

Post a Comment