Saturday, March 10, 2012

Overland Track is over, welcome Hobart!

Somehow it happened all so fast.
I arrived at the last check point - the Park Centre of Lake St Clair's and it hit me IT IS REALLY OVER. I finished the trail and it is time to move on! I survived alone hiking for 120 km, my very first true hiking experience and an accomplishment. <pat on the back from myself as there was no one else to do it>.

Lake St Clair

The camp side at the Park Centre was really a luxurious experience after 6 days of bush walking. You can find a camp map on the official web site of Lake St Clair Park, it will give you an idea.


Hobart's marina, commercial part, still very charming!
The last night was spent at the camp site with a proper shower and a food store with all what you could wish to get. Celebration  was sealed with Australian Pinot Noir. We felt like kings and queens. Not only it was a victorious evening but it was also a real re-union with all the Overland friends. Matt and Steve were there, eager to have a joyful meal altogether. Before that happened I had to earn my meal one more time. Not wanting to sit all the time in the park office amenities we decided to head out in looking for other local places to dine in. We were told there we few in a close enough distance. What we were not told was that the 'close enough' distance turned out to be another 5 km walk one way. So I limped these 5 km for a pure pleasure of dining together with friends. It was worth it!


Lake St. Claire camp site by Park Centre, here we finally meet the Tasmanian Devil.
 Yes, I did see a real live devil..

Lake St. Claire camp site by Park Centre, you cannot ask for mysterious look and feel.
 Transport with reliable Tassielink directly to Hobart to pickup the rest of my baggage could not have been easier. I must say I was a bit sceptical that my little rucksack is going to be found with all my items in. It was unnecessary. It was as promised, service paid and delivered. Hobart, welcome!


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment