Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Pine Valley through Narcissus Hut to Echo Point (day 6)

Now that I can see the end of this trip I become sad. Walking the last 9 + 6.5 KM although painful, I want to keep it going and not finish. Stubborn as I usually am, I decide to finish the full trek instead of catching the ferry at the last stop. Guys are dying for burger and beer but I am really craving to stay where I am. After walking through the snake valley I can understand their point of view, they came here to make father-son bond stronger and accomplish the trek together. In some years to come they will come back here to repeat this undertake as a sort of ritual and their tradition. I think it is a respectful and beautiful idea. I wish more parents saw value in accomplishing things together with their children. If you think that this is the end of my surprising journey you are mistaken. As I was soon to learn my decision on continuing on foot brought me in line with my old-time friends. Unexpectedly.




Coming out of The Snake Valley. The Acropolis and The Parthenon on the horizon.
It was ideal weather for making the perfect trek.

Coming up to the Narcissus Hut at Narcissus Bay.

Lake St Clair at Echo Point. Stunning visibility on a crisp and sunny day.


Echo Point Hut at Lake St Clair, my last stop on the trail before arriving at Park Centre. Source: https://www.lakestclairpark.com.au/the-overland-track/

Enjoying my full day of lonely trekking I finally reached the Echo Point. I understand a little why most people skip it and take the ferry. Although the lake view and lake shore are stunning, the Echo Point Hut is less than inviting. It is a small shelter with 4 bunk beds and a couple of metal boxes to protect food from black rats. There is a little stream by the hut to get fresh water and a toilette in quite a walking distance from the hut. It is first time when I see written warnings for rats and mice. It was nowhere seen before. Black rats, really ?! Dark secretive food thieves. Food should be stored in the metal boxes or hang high so no animal can reach it. I dread to think what kind of horrific stories other hikers might have experienced before me to have led to these caution signs.

I dump my backpack on one of the beds and go outside to enjoy rest of my day. It is clear skies and sunny day. I find myself a nice sheltered spot warm enough to get rid of layers of clothes and get a bit of sun on my body. Mmmmm it was so enjoyable.... If only I could enjoy it for a bit longer (!).
Not a full 30 min after I got myself comfortable I heard a motor boar approaching. I knew this could not be the Narcissus Hut ferry as it only goes in the morning. What the hell??

Lake St Clair at Echo Point.

Me @ Lake St Clair at Echo Point. (Before taking my clothes off and enjoying the full sun.)
 I stay where I am hoping for no disturbance anyway. It turns out the boat reaches the Echo Point and stops there. A boat full of tourists in winter jackets and warm hats. There I am trying to catch last sun tan before I finish the trip and there they are with full winter clothes trying to understand why anyone would volunteer to spend a night in the Echo Point hut.... I must have been a sort of odd discovery for them as there isn't anybody staying at Echo Point normally. I can only imagine their commentary when they were leaving but let's not verbalize them maybe...
As quickly and unexpectedly as they arrived they were gone in the next 15 minutes. Thankfully somebody was considerate or merciful and took them away.

It was getting dark when I heard voices approaching my kingdom of loneliness. Not a small group mind you. What the heck? A whole army of tourists decided to invade my little shelter on this day?
First two family groups arrive. We share the hut with some and rest decide to camp outside on the beach.  They come from Western Australia (Perth area) where they have a big farm and a finishing boat. Nice people but so many of them..
Not long time after another group arrives. They seem familiar somehow.

???

The same group of guys that I passed on my day 1 was catching up with me on day 6 of my trip. What a nice coincidence :). The last days of the epic trek were meant to be shared with this group of crazy male friends. I was to be the hiker-chick who disappeared from their landscape and they were an entertaining and fun loving group of guys to hang out with. After a warm welcoming we spent hours filled with laughter and stories from our lives.

It turned out that Echo Point was one of the best points during the whole trek. Beach location with a spectacular lake view and a little cosy hut. Sounds almost romantic ;).
We did not get attacked by herds of wild rats. There was no single occurrence of unpleasing or discomfort.  A perfect reunion of a bunch of strangers who meet on a trail and share the one shelter together. The night was bright and surprisingly warm. We kept the fire on until a late hour.

Stephan, Alex, Malley, Darren and Mike
Polish, Uzbek, Irish, Aussie and Kiwi

I will always remember them and smile wide every time I think about how good of a trail-friends we become in such a short time.

Thank you to whoever planned all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment