Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Cataract Gorge and the spooky lodge

Interestingly Tasmania has got lots of seasonal work to offer. Mostly at apple and wine plantations but also all kinds of skilled workers are needed - mechanics, engineers etc. Sadly, walking in the center, quite a few window shops were shut, I guess you can be going out of the business like anywhere else... I looked through adds in the hostel and at the supermarket and the wages are very inviting, even for simple jobs like apple picking one could earn 6-10$ per hour. Two weeks of that and you could get yourself a cheap second hand car and hit the road to cruise around Tasmanian beautiful coast. Unfortunately I did not have the time to do that, I was very tempted though! Launceston made me feel home like and I really would love to stay around for longer. But instead I had just one more day to spend.



Having spent most of the time strolling around the center and the suburbs I decided to give a go one of the local attractions - The Cataract Gorge.
It was recommended my the hostel staff as a nice walk, not too much hassle and nothing too challenging. This recommendation almost made me stay in the city again, as I have been walking parks all the time so far, so yet another park? What could be so different there?
Only later on I realized what was so different, see on the below map. The recommended part was the little loop by the river on the right side. This loop was said to be approximately 15 km. Not bad to warm up before the major trekking I was planning in the coming days - I thought. My injured knee was not swollen and not giving me much pain. Yes, I had twisted my knee just before leaving for Australia... So the last 5 days I was walking around with coolers and voltaren gel and trying to rest it as much as possible - getting ready for the trek.
As it was just few days before I wanted to start this Gorge things seemed perfect. After having walked for few hours on flat city footpaths I was feeling very confident...


I did not think about getting a map or a proper supplies for my little walk. It was meant to be just an easy walk, remember? And so it started. I walked passed beautiful local marina with all the yachts parked for the winter (yes, it was end of the season!). Around 4:00 PM I started, with the wind chill picking up a little bit and with the sunset at around 7:40 PM. Enough time to explore the park, right?

I went straight up the hill, passing by the signs "only for experience hikers", and "do not enter unless you are an experienced hiker". Well, keeping in mind some of the trecks back at home I started losing my composure, could it be so bad and dangerous really?


It wasn't :). It was steep alright, and you need to be relatively fit to manage the climb, but nothing too scary. The path was secured and there was a nice lookout on the top. One jogging guy passed me bye as I was climbing up. I passed several other people trying to climb and losing their breath... Nice! And so I learned that the level of difficulty descriptions at Tasmania varies to what I had in mind as "only for experienced hikers".

Having climbed the cliffs I descended to the cataract valley where I saw a big swimming pool and a restaurant... I started laughing to myself - that is a real wilderness isn't it? Nevertheless the views were beautiful despite of the infrastructure around. I am not posting the swimming pool for obvious reasons :).


I decided to continue my walk to close the loop. I passed the cataract and went into the park. Climbing up again. As I continued up I spotted my first wallabies :). Good start! After over 2 hours of walking I came across two jogging guys, it turned out there was a orienteering march competition in the area. How nice I though! The difference was that it was way more modern than back at home. At the check points you had an USB key to plugin and get your coordinates registered. The oldfashioned clips and passwords were used only if the technology was failing ;). Well that is one use of the satelite system!
We said good bye and I continued for another 2 hours almost until I ascended to a parking lot in the middle of nowhere. I had no idea where I was and I was already getting cold as the day was almost finished.

Middle of nowhere or not - there were some cars parked meaning there will be people coming back to drive them :). And so I saw my two guys coming back to their car, offering me a lift back in town.
Avoiding a trouble with two young men I chose to go with an older lady, who also offered her car and driving service. Very friendly lady indeed! A real life saver. I got a lift straight to the hostel doorstep. No worries!
Another lesson, never trust the locals when they guide you, always get yourself a proper map first.

Next day I took a local buss to the next town - Deloraine. I had big plans for exploration of the sourrundings including some cycling and more hiking. Mole Creek, Great Western Tiers, Alum Cliffs and many more - so much to explore!!
 It was a short distance from Launceston but still it cost 100$ by bus to get there. You can get the idea of the living expenses there ;). And not that you get much transport options. Transportation was probably the most expensive item of them all. Anyway the bus service was excellent, with a free WI-FI included in the price.

For the next accomodation place I chose a HighView Lodge - Backpackers Hostel, as it was said to be worth the effort of having to climb 1,5 km long steep hill. Another knee test I thought - this time with my full backpack on.
I walked passed it the first time, not realizing this was my hostel!

Backyard view


Wonderful location, an old couple of hosts and their adult son. Starts like one of those horror movies, doesn't it?... And I am there all alone, no other backpackers arriving for the night..Spooky...The wind blowing in the window panes, squeaky noises of the wooden floor and window panes, the old couple gone for the night and only their son hanging around in his part of the lodge....


No comments:

Post a Comment