Friday, July 1, 2016

In Tena and moving to Macas, Cuyabeno memories

I have had a great time at the Cuyabeno Lodge. The animals were plentiful, the river was overflown and the laguna water level was so high that all of the sign posts were practically under water. It is hard to imagine that in a few months time the whole lake will be completely dry and all the trips will be made on foot.
Blue and yellow macaws flying in the direction of sunset.

Sunset over the small laguna - everything was still, no movement anywhere.
the tower observatory, view on the Amazon jungle and Great Laguna



Right now I am in TENA, which is known for white water rafting and jungle excursions. It is positions in between rivers which makes it a perfect spot for all sorts of water-fun-sports. I will be moving to MACAS tonight or tomorrow, and from Macas to Cuenca. It is going to take good few days, each bus trip seems tobe 4-6 hrs min. even for 200KM distances. it is not far to where I am going but the roads are constantly flooded and land slides are happening every day. I was lucky last night to have gotten a hitch hike from Baeza, the driver had a good pickup truck and it fit 6 passengers and my big backpack. It saved be at least 3 hrs I think, as otherwise I wold have to wait for the original bus from Lago (as I missed a bus from Quito) and I would have arrived in Tena around 2 am, plus the time to find a taxi and get to a hostel.. surely I am appreciating that the local driver and the local hitch hikers made an effort to accommodate my sit (one person had to sit in the trunk and another girl was to sit on her boyfriend's lap for couple hours).
Occasional bird here and there
Who says South America is not friendly to travelers?
Cruising around the laguna.
Into the darkness - high water did not make it less interesting.

If two young chicks without a plan can travel through Bolivia, Ecuador, Colombia and Cuba, and do it safely, there is nothing unsafe for the travelers, I am telling you.
Avoid big cities after dark and you will be fine.
The two young ladies I mentioned were visitors to the Cuyabeno Lodge, altogether the crowd there were the least inspiring and dullest people I have ever met on a backpacking trip. But I was happy to have only 8 of them and not 25 for example. (the day we were leaving the lodge was getting swamped with a big group of tourists).
I took this picture as a proof of how bored these people were. While I could not stop admiring every single tree or river turn or a new birdy, most of them were awfully casual about the whole things. Maybe they get to experience similar things every second week, who knows ;).

relaxing deck with beautifully colorful hammocks making it impossible to pass by without an urge to have a little stop for a swing

No comments:

Post a Comment