Sunday, June 26, 2016

on the way to Ecuador first taste of drama

The thing is that you never expect things to go wrong before you hit the road. If you are familiar with risk management you may try to build complicated mitigation plans and alternative plans in case you plan A does not work. The truth is that while on the road anything and everything can happen. 
When I was on the bus to Cape Tribulations I was forewarn specifically that land slides and river floods were not uncommon. In the event of unlucky weather conditions one can get literally stuck, separated from any means of transportation. God forbid if a life threathening injury occurs during this time. You'd better have air evacuation purchased with your insurance premium. 

my anti mosquito artilery

Equipped with all past learnings and experiences I did purchase evacuation package with my premium ;) I dont intend to get friendly with anacondas or piranias of this world, but better be safe than sorry. Even a simple injury can become deadly if not treated and prolonged for a long period of time. I feel I am loaded with all the first aid medicments, the stuff I never use in a daily life. Antiobiotics, oitments, 6 types of tablets for all sorts of medical problems, bandaids, headcold infection, nasal infection, throat soureness, headache, pain... makes me feel sick just writing all of it. You are probably wondering. All this because I dont speak local language and from what I udnerstand it can be quite challenging to obtain meds that are legitimate. A lot of medical products get forged or is simply unavailable. It was even stronger case in South Asia. Besides who wants to spend time looking for GP recommendations when I can simply diagnose myself and take what I think is right for me at that particular time. You need to know yourself, this is also true. Are you prone to indigestion or infections? What are the typical symptoms that make you look for medication and what symptoms are known to sort themselves out? Are you pain-sesitive or can you cope? 
This time I decided to take Malaron with me. As you may know it is a globally known anti-malaria drug. In the past, when i Mekong Delta or up country Burma I was taking a risk with not taking this drug. The side effects of the drug scared me and the number of people who suffers from side effects seems greater than other drugs (it is ~5%). Not this time, I have a feeling there will be lots of options for me when I arrive in the Oriente and I may decide to stay in the lowlands for longer time that all my previous times in malaria reported areas. 2-4 days I can risk, but if I go longer say 5-10, I think the risk goes significantly up. Using DEET at least 40% (lower % does not have sufficient protection from amazonian mosquitos) reduced the risk, also knowledge what species of mosquitos are active at what times and what diseases they can spread. All this fun stuff to learn! ;) 
I dag out my mosquito repellent I brought from Burma. By average a 150-200ml DEET container lasts me about two weeks. By the time I was on my third week in Burma I run out of my American DEET and I was forced to go and explore local options. It turned out that this India produced repllent did excellent job, so I brought few tubes with me and now I have it with me here in Ecuador. Backup plan, tested. 



I noticed that I learn so quick and easy through prep work, maybe because it is personal and customized to my needs. It is amazing what stuff stays in your head if you pay attention and are interested in the subject. For example I have a younger brother who has always been interested in cartoons, school - not so much. But through cartoons he learned English and he learned well enough to immigrate to Ireland, find work and survive there in the toughest economical circumstances. Now he is back in home country, considering MBA studies. We are encouraging the idea, if only there was an MBA course on Cartoon Network! My brother can master anything, but he can do it so much faster when it is through cartoons!  (Kudos to my little brother!).
I have been learning Spanish in past few weeks, unfrotunately I have not gone beyond basic communication. I am hoping that forcing myself to speak and communicate in Spanish speaking country will help. I have never considered myself particularly skilled in languages. Some people are gifted to absorb and be vocal in foreign language so efortlessly. Not me. My German is still beginner/intermediate, my English is not bad but not perfect. Hell, my Polish is getting rusty. Yes I know few words in uncommon languages, I can get by in most of European countries but I am not good with languages. I am just not. So wish me lots of luck while in Ecuador. I really need to pull myself together to organize and get what I need to have my epic travel accomplished.
at Minka hostel I already got a big bonus, an upgrade to a single apartment ;)
So why the talk about risk management and unpredictable circumstances affecting our journeys? All because on my last day on Friday I spent half a day trying to crisis-manage my Amazonian excoursion. I received news mid morning that the main road from Quito to Papallacta was closed and that it would take extra time to get to Lago Agrio in time for meeting my guide. My original plan had been to take an overnight bus, and with a great resentment not to be able to see the spectacular views on this journey, I decided to try and get on a 23:00 bus arriving in Lago Agrio next morning around 6-7 am. I was considering to fly, the views from the air are said to be the same breathtaking. The risk was that airports do tend to shut down and overbook flights. Until I am there and can have a local agent confirming my booking on the spot, I am not going to risk that. Anyway, Friday mid-day I receive email that the main road is not operational. Great. I am not there yet and I have problems already! At the time there was several flight tickets left for Monday morning but I decided to hold back and do more research. Indeed an outlook for a bus trip was looking like 12-15hrs at least, with a possible stop over somewhere on the way. NO. A big NO. I am not doing THAT! Flight then? I check again, no availability anymore. I can only guess that sevearal other gringos in the same position as mine decided to switch to air transport. Fortunately the general manager from Couyaba was available for a chat. It was possible to reschedule my stay for the next Thursday. OK so what do I do in the 4 days in between, from Sunday to Thursday? I did not want to stay all this time in Quito or even go to Otavalo (most famous ingenious market north of Quito) - I want to keep the shopping till the last days! Maybe going to Latacunga and taking a hike around Qualalita lake? It looked feasible but I would be pressed for time. I thought I could take off from Latacunga and go to Tena and then up to Lago Agrio, but the journeyby bus is most likely another 12hrs with a stop over. Or go back to Quito and take the same original night bus on Wednesday night. Definately looks tight to press for this hike and be in time at Lago Agrio.
Not sure what to do, I decide to speak to my local friends. I could not find anywhere in the news confirmation about the road closure for that important part of the road. Always double check your sources! After speaking to Edy, he tells me that the road should be reopened, it is true it was closed due to land slide danger but they reopened, or are about to reopen. Halleluja, so I don't need to change any of my plan, it looks like!
Back to Luis, the GM, he agrees to give me his mobile number to call on Sunday and confirm the travelling arrengements. And yes, he confirms that it looks like the road should be good, open. 
Wonderful outcome and a learning. Always double check!
Thankfully I have good local contacts that I can reach out to. Frankly, if you are considering adventure triips solo, ALWAYS try to have some local contacts to call when stuck. This is one of my first items I check on my prep list. Who do I know and who I know, knows someone who can be a good resource. 
In case of Ecuador the old network from Tasmanian trip played a major role. My dear friend, native Ecu, shared with his contact network. Luckily not only these are good people, but they also work as professional guides which means they are probably more aware of all the touristic issues that I may encounter. Thanks to a short chat with Edy I saved myself from changing all my plans and possibly causing more hiccups by doing that. 

Did I ever think back years ago that making friends with one Loco Ecuadorian while hiking Overland Trail would get me where I was last Friday, in need of a local advice, of course not. You never know who will be your friend but keep trying making friends. I am so grateful for the people I have met on my way. Truly amazing and extraordinary people who share similar values and never turn down a request for help. They know, because they sometimes ask themselves. There is nothing like this feeling of global karma surrounding you, because everything you give or take will eventually come back to you. And it really does. 


No comments:

Post a Comment