Saturday, October 1, 2011

Diving in Nha Trang

What can I say, it was spectacular!
I used Vietdive local compny, not one of the fancy western onces which were a bit overpriced. Ok they were using newer gears and native English speakers. After all being in Vietnam is all about experiencing everything what's local.

And the local waters give amazing views! See for yourself, I was amazed...
Pictures were taken by a buddy diver though :)



Sand LizardFish

LionFish


OrangeSpiked SeaCucumber

LongNose ButterflyFish

TubeCoral

FireCoral




FalseClown AnemonFish

JellyFish

Happy Marta :D
Black Diadema and TrumpetFish


 The first two dives were not fortunate maybe, the visibility was not great and you could not really enjoy the views. I also lost my weight bell when jumping from the boat so we lost some time trying to reorgnize. This is why I decided to book in for another day, to see if I can get more luck. And it was the right decision.
The second day was marvelous.
 Beautiful blue sky, excellent visibility in the water and diving with just two other guys - dive masters - and the local dive master. There were some good photos taken by the guys so surely I will post some once I get hold of them. We didn't see any of the "big fish" but all the reef and little ones were enough for me. I love the site seeing in big aquarium but fish don't like me, they keep hidnig from me and I had to spent some time floating in one position to encourage some of them to get into the light. ;-).






Few words about Vietdive guys... The price was very attractive, 40$ per day, for 2 dives with meal included. I think this was one of cheapest offers. The equipment was not the newest but still safe. The instructors were local, having said that our guy was a dive master most probably as the other one was taking care of a group with no licensing and only dive instructors can do that. Anyway our dive master was not the best in my opinion. There was not much talking he did, not much showing around in the water. Not much safety rules either. I had few small incidents that could have led to a very unpleasant finish. All in all, everything ended up being OK in the end. Maybe because I like the whole experience so much, nothing could ruin in for me ;). To make the long story short, I got hit by falling plastic boxes from the top of the boat. I got a scratch in my face, on my knee and my foot. I lost my weight belt going in the water. I didn't have enough weight on me which resulted in funny buoyancy. I descended too fast from 15M and I almost hurt myself. But I am still happy with it and I would come back to do it again (maybe with a different dive master ;)).


The other reason why I like the diving boat trips is that you get to meet interesting people and make friends easily. So it was this time. A mix of people from the USA/Texas, a Canadian, an Austrian, some Chinese, the locals - this is what makes a good trip :).


Overal all my staying in Nha Trang will be a one big happy memory.

I became more brave with the local food, trying a lot of fruit coctails and ice coctails - so far so good!
We went to see a local handkraft gallery and I was stunned with the beatiful work they make. In particular there were two frames showing horses in gallop, very expressive and memorable. I wish I could get it home with me. My friend however made his move and he bought the smaller picture to take home with him. It was a really good choice and for 140$ he got himself a very unique piece of art.

I will remember Nha Trang as one of the best spots in Vietnam. It felt different to all the southern towns I visited so far. It was the first place with a Western feel to it. It was much cleaner and with no smells. Beautiful 16 KM beach alongside one of the main streets where you can walk or stop for a drink in fancy restaurants. Nice for a change!!

Some people don't like Nha Trang for those reasons but I had a great time over there. You don't have to go to he posh places for food, you can still wander around for local places and taste decent local food. There are some monstrual big buildings and shopping centers, there are Western brand hotels and expensive art galleries. All of this only adds to all the excitments. This is one of the places I would go back to!

Finally the information bit for you: here is the diving reef and the pricing. Of course pricing varies depending on the school. British schools tend to be 2x expensive. I have a feeling their boats and equipment is in better condition mind you.

Pricing at Vietnam Diving, 40$ for a day on the boat with 2 dives!!




3 comments:

  1. Diving and Snorkelling in Nha Trang

    Nha Trang is the traditional home of diving in Vietnam. Jeremy P. Stein made the bay famous in the mid 90’s as a diving destination and the Government embraced the sport in 2003 by establishing a Marine Park protected area on the Island of Hon Mun.

    Around a 40 minute cruise by boat, the Island offers fabulous scope for long dives with great macro life. One of the best value areas in the World for a PADI training course and Vietnams Elite dive guides to ensure certified divers see everything the Marine park has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.divevietnam.com/nhatrang.php
    i saw wonderful pictures with beautiful place...i envy you

    ReplyDelete